Opening a bank account in SBI is not easy. It requires providing the bank with some information about you and your finances, so they can verify who you are and whether or not you will be able to handle the responsibility of managing an account on your own. There are many documents that must be provided in order for this process to happen smoothly. In this blog post, we have listed all of the documents required for opening a bank account at the State Bank of India (SBI).
Here is a list of documents required for opening a bank account in SBI:
- Application form
- Proof of address
- Valid passport
- Proof of identity
- Driving license
- Aadhaar card
- Utility bill
- Voter Identity Card
- Valid government-issued identification card
- PAN card
- Form 16/36 for salaried employees.
- Bank statement (last six months).
- Income certificate
- Notarized copy of passport for Non-Resident Indians (NRIs)
- Proof of income
- PIO card
- OCI card
The documents listed above apply to different categories of people who want to open a bank account in the State Bank of India (SBI). SBI has divides its customers into 3 groups as will be discussed below:
Categories of People who can open a bank account in SBI:
- Non-Resident Indians (NRIs)
- Person of Indian Origin (PIO)
- Overseas Citizenship of India (OCI)
Non-Resident Indians (NRIs)
A Non-Resident Indian (NRI) is a person who is a citizen of India but resides abroad. It means the person has acquired citizenship from another country and he or she lives in that other country.
NRIs are eligible to open a bank account in SBI under the NRI/ PIO (Overseas) category.
Find out: How to Open a Bank Account in SBI
Person of Indian Origin (PIO)
This is a person who has migrated from India and acquired citizenship in another country but still possesses an Indian origin or ancestral connection. However, this category does not apply to the nationals of Pakistan, Afghanistan, Bangladesh, China, Iran, Bhutan, Sri Lanka, and Nepal. Any foreign national having parents, grandparents, or great-grandparents born in undivided India would be covered under this category.
NRIs/ PIOs generally have the same bank account facilities as that of resident Indians, including checkbook facilities and ATM cards. However, they may not be allowed to operate their accounts from outside India on a continuous basis without permission from banks in India or RBI on specific requests for doing so.
Check out: How to Get a Car Loan From a Bank Easily
Overseas Citizenship of India (OCI)
These are foreign passport holders who have held Indian citizenship in the past or to those who are descendants of such people.
OCI is a status of citizenship granted by the government of India to a foreign citizen or nationals who have migrated from one country to another.
The OCI Card is an Indian immigration card similar in appearance and specifications to that of a normal Overseas Citizen Certificate but with an additional feature that enables its bearer for traveling to India without a visa. Moreover, the card enables him/her to get a lifetime multiple entries, multi-purpose lifelong visa to visit India.
Checklist of Documents Required
|Identification Documents||If you are an NRI status holder||If you are PIO / OCI status holder|
|Proof of Status||Any one of the following: |
Valid Visa / Work Permit
Any of the following for NRIs with Seafarer work profile:
1. Valid Job Contract
2. Continuous Discharge Certificate (CDC), if the disembarkation stamp on CDC is not more than 6 months old
3. Expired contract letter (if the disembarkation stamp on CDC is not more than 6 months old).
4. The last payslip evidencing employment with a shipping company (not more than 6 months old)
|Any one of the following: |
1. Valid PIO Card
2. Valid OCI Card
3. Relevant pages of Passport of parents or grandparents, establishing their Indian Origin
4. Marriage Certificate establishing spouse’s Indian Origin
|Proof of Identity||Relevant pages of Passport|
|Current Address document (Overseas only)|
NRIs with seafarer work profiles and ownership, can either give the employer’s overseas address or Indian address.
|Anyone of the following: |
Relevant pages of Passport (mentioning overseas address).
Self-declaration of address with positive confirmation by submitting a copy of any one of the following. The standard format can be downloaded from ‘Download Forms’ page of the SBI website or please sign and write “Self declaration of overseas address for NRI account opening purpose” on the document itself:
1. Government-issued National Identity Card at the country of residence.
2. Driving License issued abroad.
3. Utility Bill (Electricity, Telephone, Gas).
4. Original copy of latest overseas bank account or existing NRE / NRO account statement carrying overseas address.
5. Employer’s certificate
6. Address proof of the blood relative as per point i) to v) above (spouse, father, mother, sister, brother, and child) with whom you are staying along with supporting proof of relationship (Passport, PAN Card, Driving License, Voter Identity Card, Aadhaar Card, Marriage Certificate, Birth Certificate)
|Proof of Permanent Address (Overseas / Indian)||Any one of the following: |
Relevant pages of Passport
Voter Identity Card
NREGA Job Card
|Relevant pages of Passport|
|Additional proof for applicants who are not visiting our Branch for opening the account (Non-face-to-face)||Any one of the following: |
1. Cheque drawn on the overseas Bank account
2. Canceled / Paid Cheque of the overseas Bank account
3. Proof of Income / Pay Slip / Tax return
|Additional requirement||a. 2 Passport size photographs|
b. Please give a certified English translated copy of the document wherever it is in a foreign language
How to open SBI instant savings bank account online
For opening an SBI instant savings bank account, you will need to submit the relevant documents. For minors above 11 years of age, one of their parents can open a Savings Bank Account in his/her name. The parent has to sign all the forms and complete the KYC formalities for this purpose.
Opening an instant savings bank account online is quite easy. Just follow the following steps and you will be done:
- Download the YONO app from either Google’s play store or Apple store
- Enter your PAN and Aadhaar information
- Submit a One-Time Password (OTP)
- Fill in other relevant details as will be asked online
Once the process is complete, you will get your account activated instantly and can start transacting immediately.
After becoming an SBI SBI Insta Saving Bank Account holder, you are eligible for the nomination facility. The facility allows you to get SMS alerts and SBI Quick Missed call service. Therefore, in case of any issues with your Insta Saving Bank Account, you will be notified in real-time. It is one way to keep your money safe in the bank. You may decide to upgrade to full KYC by visiting your nearest SBI branch within a timeframe of one year.
To open a bank account in SBI, you need to keep the required documents ready. The banks will require many documents to confirm your account opening details. The documents required to open a bank account typically vary from one branch to another. However, you can find almost all the necessary information online or by visiting your nearest SBI branch in person.
Providing these documents as required by the State Bank of India will ensure that your bank account is safe. It will not be easy for you to open a bank account with your identity. Identifying yourself is a major issue with many banks when a person wants to open a bank account.