Copyright is a sensitive topic for the YouTube community. Many big brands and other YouTube users have gotten their accounts suspended for violating copyright rules. It does not end at that as some people have been arrested for the same issue. As a brand using YouTube, you don’t want your account to be brought down for simple copyright issues you can avoid. For this reason, it is important to understand the basics of YouTube copyright requirements. It is the only way you will know the do’s and don’ts on YouTube in terms of copyright requirements. In this article, we present a list of the updated YouTube copyright school questions and answers. Be prepared with these answers when taking the YouTube copyright exam as this will make your account approval process easy.
What is YouTube Copyright?
Copyright is a legal right given to an author of a literary or artistic work. It is granted automatically and it belongs exclusively to the person who created the content, meaning that only he/she can decide if their work will be used in another project for commercial purposes.
In terms of YouTube, copyright is applied to protect the videos uploaded on the platform. The original video content belongs to the author and any commercial use of it without permission is considered copyright infringement.
Categories of Copyright Violation
There are two categories of copyright violation:
- Content copyrighted by someone else (e.g., music, TV shows) and used without permission.
- Videos created in a way that violates copyright law (stealing content). For example, using unlicensed music, video clips or images in your own videos.
What is Copyright School on YouTube?
The copyright school on YouTube is a program released by the platform to help users understand how copyright works on YouTube. It is meant for video uploaders, music artists, and other creators that are using the platform as their source of income. The objective of this school is to teach them what they can do or cannot do when posting videos online so that no violation occurs.
To ensure that all YouTube users understand and comply with copyright requirements, the YouTube copyright school requires that users take an pass an exam. Once they clear this exam, YouTube will give them a certificate that can be used to verify their knowledge on copyright issues.
With that background knowledge about the copyright school on YouTube, let’s now delve into Youtube copyright school questions and answers.
Updated Youtube Copyright School Questions and their Answers
- The following items are NOT protected by copyright.
Answer: People (YouTube copyright only protects the content)
2. It’s possible for music to have more than one copyright owner.
Answer: True (Music can be produced by a group of people and all will have copyright permissions).
3. The following item is protected by copyright
Answer: Your original Youtube video (This is your content on YouTube that needs protection)
4. The following item(s) may be protected by copyright.
Answer: All of the above (YouTube Copyrights any content apart from the people who produce the content. For this reason, music, photographs, paintings, books, films, and videos are protected by copyright).
5. If a video gets removed because of a copyright infringement notification, filing a counter-notification is the only possible way to restore the video.
Answer: False (You can engage in an amicable discussion with the creators of the removed content. Through your engagement, ‘you can reach an agreement, contact YouTube and have the content restored).
6. Giving credit to the creator in your video’s description is enough to prevent copyright infringement from occurring.
Answer: False (To post third-party content, you might need permission from the copyright holder. Mentioning them alone is not enough).
7. Copyright protection is only given to the major film, television, or recording corporations who pay for the privilege.
Answer: False (Any person can come up with original content. once the content is in some form like music, film, video, or a recording, it qualifies for copyright protection).
8. Deleting a video that was removed for copyright will get rid of the associated copyright strike.
Answer: False (If you have an infringing video on your account, deleting it will not remove the copyright strikes and other copyright penalties on your account).
9. Creating 100% original new content for YouTube will help to protect you against claims of copyright infringement.
Answer: True (YouTube recommends 100% original content. In this way, your account will never get into copyright violation issues).
10. “Fair use” is a legal defense that applies in all countries.
Answer: False (only some entities have copyright provisions protecting “fair use.” If you want to know whether a specific use qualifies as “fair use” consult a qualified copyright attorney).
11. All uses of copyrighted content without permission of the owner are considered copyright infringement.
Answer: False (there are some protections like fair use and fair dealing under some jurisdictions. These protections allow for the use of copyrighted work without the permission of the original owner).
12. As long as I have purchased the content in question, it is not possible for me to infringe copyright by uploading it to YouTube.
Answer: False (By purchasing a copy of copyrighted media like video or music, you don’t have permission to upload it on YouTube as your own).
13. Anyone can issue a copyright claim on behalf of someone else.
Answer: False (Only the authorized people or copyright owner can issue a copyright claim for YouTube content).
14. As long as you have modified the original content in some way, such as in a remix, it is always a fair use of copyrighted material and you cannot be subject to claims of copyright infringement.
Answer: False (For the use of content to be categorized as fair use, some considerations must be taken into account. For instance, the effect on the original content, the nature of use, the purpose and character of the work).
15. You should ask YouTube for permission to use other users’ content from the site.
Answer: True (YouTube controls the content on their site to ensure the protection of copyright regulations).
16. If I intentionally file a false notice of alleged copyright infringement against a YouTube video (just for fun, or to cause trouble), I could be found liable for any damages caused.
Answer: True (Abusing the copyright process is not an easy thing. Your fraudulent copyright notice may land you in trouble as dictated by law).
17. If someone alleges that you have infringed their copyright, you will receive a notification.
Answer: Both A and B (Once you log in to your YouTube account, you will get a notification of your video having been removed on the grounds of copyright infringement. Furthermore, you will receive an email notification through the email associated with your YouTube account).
18. If someone alleges that you have infringed their copyright and you are certain that this is not the case, you may.
Answer: File a counter-notification (You are allowed to file a counter-notification when you realize that your content was mistakenly identified as violating copyright requirements).
19. If the original creator of the copyrighted work has died, the work is no longer protected by copyright.
Answer: False (Copyright protection even after the death of the original content creator).
20. If content is available on the Internet, it is in the public domain and therefore okay to upload to YouTube.
Answer: False (The availability of content on the internet does not mean it’s in the public domain and can be used anyhow).
21. Copyright infringement occurs when a copyrighted work is ________ without the permission of the copyright owner.
Answer: All of the Above (reproduction, distribution, performance, and public display are all copyrighted).
22. Copyright infringement is a serious offence and violation of the law may have significant consequences.
Answer: True (You will face serious legal consequences if you are found liable for copyright infringement. Apart from huge financial penalties, you may get your YouTube account terminated).
23. Content that was once allowed by a content owner may be subsequently removed from YouTube.
Answer: True (Owners may change how they want their content to be used and displayed on YouTube. Therefore, to be on the right side, just create original content).
24. Copyright infringement can result in.
Answer: All of the Above (There are serious consequences for copyright infringement).
25. If you are found to be a repeat infringer, you could lose your YouTube account.
Answer: True (If you get suspended for copyright infringement, you are not allowed to open another YouTube account).
26. If you claim fair use in the video description, your video can’t be considered copyright infringement.
Answer: False (You should seek legal advice from a qualified attorney because fair use is normally determined in court).
27. In order to determine whether specific copyrighted content is authorized to be used on YouTube, you should upload it to your account and wait for the Content ID system to block any unauthorized content.
Answer: False (You should search to find out if you have the right to upload a give video on YouTube).
28. If you misuse YouTube’s counter-notification process.
Answer: Both A and B (misusing the counter-notification process has serious consequences).
29. It is impossible for a remix or mashup to infringe copyright.
Answer: False (You need permission from the original content creator to remix or mashup their work. This is because remixes and mashups can be considered derivative works under the law).
30. It is okay to upload an entire cartoon episode without the authorization of the copyright owner as long as I’m just sharing it with my friends, family and fans.
Answer: False (You need appropriate rights from content owners to upload content on YouTube. Who you share the content with does not matter).
31. It’s fine to use someone else’s content as long as it already appears on YouTube.
Answer: False (You should check if the copyright owner has authorized the use of a given content on YouTube).
32. The following things are copyrightable: names, places, faces and spaces.
Answer: False (Copyright protection only applies to creative, unique, expressive and content expressed in some form like music, writings, or video).
33. Uploading a video of myself recording my favourite cover song does not require the permission of the copyright holder.
Answer: False (You need permission from the original owner to upload their content on YouTube).
How Can I Know If My Video is Copyrighted?
It may seem easy but it depends on the type of content you are using in your video. A song or part of one, for instance, cannot simply be uploaded without written consent from the artist. It is also not allowed to upload songs that are on SoundCloud or other music sharing websites without the permission of their original owners.
A film can be copyrighted if it has a copyright symbol, ©, included in its title and credits section. This means that you cannot use parts of the film unless you seek written authorization first. You can find more on this from the above list of YouTube copyright school questions and answers.
How Do You Avoid Copyright Strikes on YouTube?
The best way to avoid copyright strikes on YouTube is by creating 100% original videos. Alternatively, you can seek written authorization from a video owner if you want to use his/her video. It can be a costly process as the owner may ask for royalties and other fees. However, it’s worth it as it will protect you in case an issue arises with YouTube or your video is taken down.
To prevent your video from being used commercially by another person or company, you need to register it on YouTube. You must do this within 30 days after uploading a new video for the first time.
Adhering to YouTube copyright regulation is important. As a YouTube content creator, you need to know what amounts to copyright infringement and what does not. That’s why you get assessed through the YouTube copyright school. With these YouTube copyright school questions and answers, we believe you will pass the exam and secure your google account.