A Passport is an essential identification document for travelers. Airlines, airport authorities, and immigration officials use this document to authenticate the identity of a traveler. Therefore, if you are planning to travel, it is necessary to equip yourself with a valid passport. In Kenya, passport application was not easy before 2017. However, the good news after 2017 is that the government rolled out an e-passport system that made the process easy. Therefore, this is a guide on how to apply for a passport online in Kenya.
Step-by-Step Guide for Passport Application
The first thing you have to do is to visit www.ecitizen.go.ke; a public platform for government services.
The second step after getting to this site is to lick and open immigration services. A service menu will populate and from this menu, you should select the e-passport application form and fill it.
The third step is the payment mode. You have to select a payment mode of your choice and pay. After paying, you should download the application form. It is your duty to countercheck to ensure that all details like name are correct. After that, you can now print the form
The final step is to print the application form. In addition to this form, you have to print three copies of payment receipts. You will then submit the form with other necessary documents to the immigration department or Huduma center for the finalization of the process. The documents have to be submitted by the applicant so that his or her biometrics and a digital passport can be captured. After the submission, you have to wait for about 10 to 15 days for the process to be completed.
What have you noticed with this procedure? The process illustrates that you will not apply and get your passport immediately. Therefore, it is important to make your application early enough to avoid delaying your travel. For instance, late passport application may make you lose a job due to late application.
Check out: How to easily reduce tummy fats
Passport Application Charges
The Amount of money charged is determined by the type of passport being applied. The following table illustrates this information:
|Passport Type||Fee in Ksh.|
|32 Pages Ordinary “A” Series||4,550|
|48 Pages Ordinary “B” Series||6,050|
|64 Pages Ordinary “C” Series||7,550|
|East African Passport||990|
|Diplomatic Passport (48-Page)||7,550|
At the time of submission of the passport application, you will need the following:
- An original National Identity Card and a photocopy of it.
- Original National Identity cards of parents and photocopies of the same. If the parents are deceased, carry the death certificate. If you were adopted, carry an adoption certificate.
- An original birth certificate and a photocopy of the same.
- Digital passport size photograph.
- The National Identity card of your recommenders and its photocopy. A recommender can be an advocate, a banker, a religious leader, a doctor or a civil servant.
- If the applicant is below 18 years old, he or she will not to submit a written consent from the parents.
- Three copies of payment receipt.
- The pre-filled passport application form.
- The old passport in case you are applying for replacement.
We hope that this guide on how to apply for a passport online in Kenya will educate and make the process easy for our you.