The Green Card Lottery program has given many Kenyans an opportunity to live and work permanently in the US. If you want to live the American dream, send your Green Card Lottery application before November 7, 2023. This step-by-step guide will help you learn how to apply for Green Card Lottery in Kenya.
How the Green Card Lottery Program works
Alternatively called the Diversity Visa Lottery, the Green Card Lottery is a program for countries that sends the fewest immigrants to the U.S. every year. Kenya is among these countries.
The United States of America offers this program every year via the U.S. Department of State. If you win the lottery, you should apply for the Green Card to get a chance to work and live permanently in the US.
The US Department of State habitually designs 50,000 Green Cards every year. However, it made 55,000 Green Cards for the 2025 Fiscal Year. If you apply for the 2025 Diversity Visa Lottery, you can win one of these Green Cards.
Things You Need Before Applying for the Diversity Visa Lottery in Kenya
The Green Card Lottery requirements change every year. To be eligible for this application process, ensure you fulfill the following requirements:
- Be a citizen from an eligible country, including Kenya.
- Ensure you have finished at least twelve years of formal education. In short, have a high school certificate.
- Alternatively, show that you have worked professionally for at least two years in the past five years.
- Be an adult of any age (applicants cannot be under 18 years of age).
Green Card Lottery Photo Requirements
The U.S. authorities do not accept just any photo. If you submit the wrong photo, you will not take part in the current Green Card Lottery program. The table below summarizes the photo requirements you should meet to participate in the 2025 DV lottery program.
|Background||Take your photo in front of a plain white or off-white background.|
|Head size||50% to 69% of overall photo height should include your face (Chin to the top of your head).|
|Head Position||Ensure your photo does not cast shadows. Avoid underexposure or overexposure.|
|Photo exposure||Do not cover your face with your hair. Keep facial expression neutral.|
|Face||The resolution should be 600 by 600 pixels.|
|Head Coverings||Do not wear a hat, tiara, or any other head covering except if your religion prohibits it.|
|Eyeglasses||Remove your eyeglasses as you take the photo.|
|Digital Photo Alterations||Do not alter the photo background, as it can change your head shape.|
|Image size||The correct photo size is 51mm by 51mm.|
|Image resolution||Resolution should be 600 by 600 pixels.|
|File size||Your file size should be 240KB or less.|
|File format||The acceptable file format is JPG.|
|Image age||Send your application with a photo that is not older than six months.|
|Gadgets||Do not wear wireless earphones or cabled headphones.|
|Hearing device||Wearing your hearing aid is okay.|
As you can see, the American authorities no longer need applicants to have a valid passport when applying for the DV Lottery.
Where and When to Apply for the Diversity Visa Lottery
If you fulfill the above requirements, visit the dvprogram.state.gov website and send your application. The best time to send your application is now. The registration period started on October 4, 2023, at noon EDT.
It will end on November 7, 2023, at noon EDT. You still have time to try winning the 2025 Green Card Lottery. The final week of sending applications will be hectic, as many people like to apply for things at the last minute.
If many people try to open the US Department of State’s site at once, it could load slowly or clash. That could cost you a chance to experience the American dream. Do not attempt to apply severally because the American authorities will catch you and discard all your applications.
How to Apply for the Green Card Lottery in Kenya
Visit the registration website and fill out your application form. This is the official website that all applicants should focus on. Other sites claiming to help you with the Green Card Lottery application are not official.
Ensure you understand English, as it is the language you should use to fill out the form. If you get stuck for at least twenty minutes, the system will reset and discard all the details you already shared.
Most cybercafes know how to apply for Green Card Lottery in Kenya without mistakes. If you cannot fill out the form in one hour, ask for their help. The current DV Lottery program has two sections to fill out.
The first part is for everyone and has fourteen questionnaires seeking the following data from you:
- Full name as it appears on your Kenyan ID.
- Gender and Date of Birth.
- City of Birth as shown on your Birth Certificate.
- Country of birth, such as Kenya.
- Country of eligibility for Green Card Lottery Program. In this case, fill out Kenya. If you were not born in Kenya but one of your parents or current spouse is Kenyan by birth, then assign yourself to them.
- Passport. It is no longer necessary during the DV Lottery application stage.
- Entrant photograph. Follow the photo requirements listed above. Verify it with a photo tool.
- Mailing Address. Enter your primary residence address.
- Country of residence or where you live now
- Phone number. You can leave this field empty as it is not mandatory.
- Email Address. It will allow the American authorities to send you the confirmation number.
- Education level. Indicate if you have primary and secondary education.
- Marital Status. Are you married? Include your marriage certificate. If single, provide no document.
- Number of Kids. List all your children who are below 21 years old.
All applicants who are married must complete a second phase of the application. They should submit data and photos of all family members. After filling out the application forms, tap the Submit icon at the bottom of the page. Wait for the US Department of State to send a confirmation Number to your email address. Now that you know how to apply for a Green Card in Kenya, try it before the closing date.